Frozen Desserts

Frozen desserts are regulated by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture (VAA). Even if the frozen dessert does not contain dairy, it is regulated by the VAA (in most cases). The best place to start if you are unsure whether your product is regulated by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture is by calling Greg Lockwood, Dairy Product Program Supervisor, 802-917-3994.

If your product is regulated by the VAA, you will need:

Note that holding a milk handlers license allows for an exemption to the Frozen Dessert License

Depending on your product, you may also be required to:

  • Acquire a license through the Vermont Health Department.  The best way to reach them is by calling (802) 863-7221 and leave a message if no one picks up.  
  • Ensure that the manufacturing facility is registered with the FDA
  • Contact your Regional Permit Specialist with the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation to ensure you have the proper wastewater permit
  • Follow Dairy Labeling  Guidelines 

The new Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) has updated dairy regulations that requires preventative controls for those manufacturing with pasteurized dairy.  For more information on the food safety plan required by FSMA visit the FDA's website