Cultured Dairy & Cheese

The Vermont Agency of Agriculture regulates Dairy Products. Contact Greg Lockwood, Dairy Product Program Supervisor, 802-917-3994

For regulations on cheese products:

For yogurt regulations:

Follow the USDA specifications

For all cultured dairy products:

You will need a Milk Handlers License

Depending on your product you may need to:

  • Acquire a license through the Vermont Health Department, Call (802) 863-7221
  • Ensure that the manufacturing facility is registered with the FDA
  • Contact your Regional Permit Specialist with the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation to ensure you have the proper wastewater permit

The new Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) has updated dairy regulations that requires preventative controls for those manufacturing with pasteurized dairy.  For more information on the food safety plan required by FSMA visit the FDA's website